Call for Nominations for Officers and Committee Positions:
President-Elect ● Secretary-Treasurer ● Newsletter (Anthropology News) Editor ● E-Journal Editor ● Graduate Representative-At-Large ● Undergraduate Representative-At-Large ● Nominations Committee Chair ● Listserv Editor ● Communications Officer ● Nominations Committee Member
The National Association of Student Anthropologists (NASA) is seeking students who are interested in being nominated as candidates for positions. We welcome nominations from both undergraduate and graduate students who have an interest in anthropology. While elected positions must be filled by NASA members in good standing, if you are not currently a NASA member we would like to encourage you to join and submit a nomination!
NASA’s purpose is to “stimulate and encourage the interests and involvement of both graduate and undergraduate students in anthropology.” Working with NASA is a great way to gain leadership experience and is an excellent opportunity to network with other students, professors, and professionals in anthropology and related disciplines. The atmosphere is friendly and collegial. Nominees are encouraged to bring and develop their own ideas for how NASA can better serve the interests of its student membership.
The NASA Nominations Committee will form a slate of candidates from the nominees for each position. NASA members will then vote for the candidates in the spring. In accordance with NASA’s Bylaws, nominees, if elected, will serve two-year terms — which will begin in November 2018 at the Annual Meeting and end in November 2020.
The following summaries describe the duties of the open positions; please refer to this website as well as the AAA Leadership Job Descriptions page for complete descriptions.
While each of the positions vary in time commitment (i.e. how much time the job actually takes), it is generally expected that officers attend bi-monthly Skype/phone conferences, try to attend the annual AAA conference (though not required), respond to group emails in a timely fashion, and generally stay on top of their duties.
If elected, nominees are expected to accept the position to which they have been elected; your willingness to run for these positions comes with the expectation of a two-year commitment to serve.
Officer Positions and Executive Committee Seats
- PRESIDENT-ELECT: Serves a one-year term as President-Elect, followed by another year as President; responsible for internal communications within NASA; coordinates activities of committees; and facilitates NASA’s transition into the following year.
- SECRETARY-TREASURER: Is responsible for the submission and maintenance of NASA’s annual budget as well as the timely dispersal of meeting minutes and other pertinent communication; ensures both timely communication among NASA members and a lasting record of NASA activities for future members of the Association.
- NEWSLETTER (ANTHROPOLOGY NEWS) EDITOR: Is responsible for NASA’s presence in Anthropology News; will solicit contributions for the student column in addition to using the column for NASA information dispersal; and may from time to time be involved in additional NASA information dispersal activities.
- NASA E-JOURNAL EDITOR: Is responsible for editing and producing NASA’s web-based journal; will solicit articles; and work with the E-Journal committee and the AAA Publications representatives to create and disseminate the journal.
- GRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of graduate NASA members; solicits new members; attends to student questions and creates student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities to students; and traditionally chairs a NASA Committee.
- UNDERGRADUATE REPRESENTATIVE-AT-LARGE: Actively represents all interests of undergraduate NASA members; solicits new members; attends to students’ questions and creates student networks throughout the year; effectively disseminates scholarship and professional opportunities to students; and traditionally chairs a NASA Committee.
- NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE CHAIR: Posts the annual call for elections; organizes and disseminates election applications and information; submits the Nomination’s Committee’s recommendations for the elections slate to the NASA membership for vote.
- LISTSERV EDITOR: Follows announcements/opportunities from a range of AAA listservs on a daily basis; forwards those announcements/opportunities relevant to anthropology students to the NASA listserv members in a timely manner; updates NASA website calendar with upcoming deadlines for opportunities posted on the list; and manages new listserv subscriptions and requests to unsubscribe.
- COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER: Is responsible for the maintenance of NASA’s website; ensures timely external communication to current and potential NASA members and other interested people via social media; seeks information for the historical record; and maintains NASA’s records. (Officer should have basic knowledge of WordPress and/or HTML or be willing to learn it.)
- NOMINATIONS COMMITTEE MEMBER (TWO POSITIONS AVAILABLE): Works closely with the Nominations Committee Chair and is responsible for coordinating the election of NASA’s Officers.
DEADLINE FOR NOMINATIONS: Nominations are currently closed.